The Green Strings program is BRAND-NEW to Westwinds this year. Here are the answers to some Frequently Asked Questions:
What instruments are going to be in Green Strings?
We will offer instruction on violin, viola, cello, or double bass.
Do I have to have experience?
Not at all! We anticipate there will be a mix of people who are learning a second instrument, as well as people learning a string instrument as their first instrument ever. We will start from the ground up!
Where can I get an instrument?
I recommend heading to a specialized string shop like VA Hills Fine Strings. They offer month-to-month rentals, rent to own programs, and purchasing. They only stock quality instruments that are professionally set up so you can have success playing. They are also great if you have your grandpa's violin you have pulled out of your closet that needs to be repaired for our course! I do NOT recommend buying off the internet.
I want to play double bass, but I do NOT want to haul it to/from rehearsals! What should I do?
Fear not, dear reader. Green Strings will be able to use the basses available at Central Memorial during rehearsals, so you will just need one bass for your house to practice.
What will I learn in Green Strings?
- Proper care and maintenance of your instrument
- How to read music on your instrument
- How to develop good posture and playing position
- Development of good tone and intonation
- Playing in an ensemble setting with others (in unison and with string ensemble music)
- Confidence needed to play in front of others and tackle your own musical projects
Monday nights, 7:00 pm. Location Central Memorial High School, 5111 21 St SW
Directed by Katrina Archer